Hello.

I'm creating my first database and would prefer populating the tables using a
text file I'll create in Notepad (not that it makes and difference).  In case
it matters, I'm using myPHPadmin provided by my web hosting service.

I'm a little confused about the format of the data in the text file.  >From
what I've read, it's simply listing the values in a row separated by a tab.
But what if the first field/column is an ID number to be generated by MySQL?

Table groups

Two Fields:      groups_id         auto-increment Primary
                      groups_name    varchar(15)

Would the text file look like:

NULL    students
NULL    faculty
NULL    staff

    where I would acutally type NULL

or

0    students
1    faculty
2    staff

    where I would supply the number (would it start with 0 (zero) or 1)?

or

what else is there?

Thanks for the help.

Jeff