Elizabeth Bonifacio wrote:

Hi guys,
I'm new in database development, and has been wondering if anyone can
suggest a good reporting tool that will help me generate graphical
report for my database queries using visual c++? Can I use excell to
format my queries into graph?

My project involves the developement of syslog server in a windows xp
environment using mysql 4.1 and visual C++ version 6.0. Aside from the
graphical report, my syslog server should be receiving online logs
from few network devices such as fortinet and tripwire using sysrose
daemon.

Can anyone please advice me on which table type will be most suitable
for inserting and querying huge amount of syslog on a real time basis?

Hoping for your advice.

betcha

I don't know about C++ tools, but as for other tools, you can use:

- JPGraph, a php graphing library. It produces very high quality, professional looking *graphs* ( not reports ). It's dual-licensed - open-source for open-source projects, and a commercial license for commercial projects
http//www.aditus.nu/jpgraph/

- PDF::ReportWriter, my own Perl module, for high quality reports. I obviously recommend it :) It supports importing images from external sources, so you can, for example, use a combination of JPGraph and PDF::ReportWriter
http://entropy.homelinux.org/axis_not_evil

- Agata, a PHP-Gtk reporting application. It looks *very* nice, but I've never been able to get it working ( gtk-scintilla doesn't compile on my system )
http://www.agata.org.br/us/index.php

- JasperReports, a java graphing library with GUI report designer. I haven't used it ( can't handle Java ), but it looks interesting
http://jasperreports.sourceforge.net/

- Papyrus, a C reporting app. I used it for a while before rolling my own PDF::ReportWriter.
http://papyrus.treshna.com/

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer