suomi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 08/09/2005 03:07:11 AM:

> Hi every
>
> probably silliest question ever posted:
>
> we are running mysql on serveral hosts and sometime it is important to
> know, which host is the mysql server you are connected to.
>
> this is not a session nor a global variable, there is no show
statement...

> what is it else? how to ask a mysql client the name of the server you
> are connected to?
>
> suomi

Have you thought about changing your prompt? put a setting in the
my.cfg/my.ini of your client tools something like this:

[mysql]
prompt=\h.\d>

Details here: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/mysql.html
and here: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/mysql-commands.html

That setting gives me a command prompt that is the name of the server, a
dot, the name of the database with which I am currently working, all
followed by a >. It looks like this:

testserver1.testdb1>

Would that help you keep it straight?

Shawn Green