Hi Jim,

This is a known problem on OS X 10.0.x.

I keep meaning to take a look at it, but haven't had the time ( I have
to learn gdb and the mysql source first/at the same time).  If you are
already a familiar with gdb and can help the mysql programmers by
finding out more info and/or even a fix, that would help get this fixed.

safe_mysqld has the job of keeping a copy of mysqld running.  If it
finds mysqld not running (or if one dies?), it will start another.  So
if you kill -9 on safe_mysqld first and then on mysqld you can get them
all stopped.

If you just kill -9 mysqld then safe_mysqld is simply starting another
for you (just doin' it's job don't cha know!).

I'd love to get mysql working on OS X, I'm just really swamped right now
and behind the learning curve for this unix stuff being a mac hack.

One pointer I received from Sinisa (from the mysql dev team):

> Signal handling is all done in mysqld.cc in sql/ subdir.

which is where we need to start I think since it appears that mysql's
handling of the shutdown signal is not working.   If you run the
mysql-test-run script it has trouble and says:

> Warning;  Aborted waiting on pid file: '/usr/local/mysql-
> test/var/run/mysqld-slave.pid' after 10 seconds
> Slave shutdown finished

that's what makes it seem like the signals are not working.  Either that
or the file locking done on the pid file (what is that done for and who
does it?  I don't know).

Let me know if you make any progress.

Tyler