The first thing I would do is to upgrade the Kernel, as per you r mail
u said u were running 2.4.20-8, get the latest one for RH9 that is
2.4.20-31.9 SMP, and you might see a huge difference, if it doesn't
work, then make sure you have properly indexed the colums, mytop is a
great tool for diagnosis, also see the slow query log, play around
with top and other OS tools, this should work if not switch to INNODB

Kishore Jalleda