NEWBIE QUESTION
Hello,

Just installed mysql on a solaris2.7 sparc machine, but I don't seem to have
permission to do
anything!  I add a user by typing

useradd username

BUT HOW DO I SET THE PASSWORD?  Someone suggested doing this:

mysql>insert into user (host, user, password) values ('localhost', 'myname'
password('testpass');

But that doesn't work for me!  It gives me the good ol' syntax error message.  I've
also tried
this:

mysql> insert into user (host, user, password) values ('localhost',
'myname','testpass');

But that gives a message saying that no database selected.

Help!

thanks everybody.