Here's the saga.

1) I installed php, apache and mysql via redhat seven installation disks.
2) problems with mysql
3) reinstalled latest mysql from official site. (rpm wouldnt remove
distributions, so I renamed the old mysql bin files to a .bak extension
before installing new version on /usr/local.
4) Got it going okay, with the execepton that I couldn't change user, host
and password. (see previous email.)
5) Attempted to create a connect interface with php. Here is the code:

        <?
        $connection = mysql_connect("localhost","desparate", "help") or
        die("Couldn't connect.");

        if ($connection) {
        $msg = "Success!";
        }
        ?>

        <HTML>
        <HEAD>
        <TITLE>MySql Connection</TITLE>
        </HEAD>
        </HEAD>
        <BODY>
        <? echo "$msg"; ?>
        </BODY>
        </HTML>

And here is the error message I get:

        Warning: Mysql connectoion failed. Can't connect to local mysql         server
through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock'(111) in /ver/w
ww/html/db_connect.php on line 2.
        Couldn't connect.

Daniel Goldin           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Creative Director       323.225.1926

             BlueLamp Productions
               www.blue-lamp.com