Sorry, dont know how I missed: http://lists.mysql.com/mysql/187794

The old msql was 4.0 and the new one is 4.1.

When we first imported the data the database was in latin1(my mistake) and
we put it into production as everything seemed to work fine.

We have one site that uses french characters sometimes and they compained 1
week later.  By that time it was too late to roll back so now we have this
problem.

We tried converting the database over to Utf8 but it did not seem to fully
work.

We can put the french characters in, even from the tomcat server, but when
they come back out to the webpage(we have a content management system) they
are garbled.

One night we did some testing and hooked the tomcat to the old database and
everything worked fine with french characters so it has to be the new
database.

If no one has anymore ideas I think our best route is to dump it, install
4.0 on this server and import it back in.

Everything looks ok as far as Utf8 on the tables and such, I feel that we
are just missing one key thing that is garbling the characters.

Also when we use EMS mysqlmanager to view the data, it is fine, it is only
when it comes back to the tomcat server it seems.

Thanks for your ideas thus far,
James