I have data from two different sources that I would like to store in a mysql
database.  Dataset_1 has pieces of information A, B, and C (let's say first,
middle, and last name) and Dataset_2 has pieces of information A, B, C, and D
(first, middle, last names and a DOUBLE value).

Dataset_1 has 9.5 million records, while Dataset_2 has only 0.5 million records.
 I am interested in keeping all of this information, and would like to store
Dataset_1 and Dataset_2 in the same table.

However, if the table was created with columns A, B, C, and D, most of the
entries in the D column will be NULL.  Is this considered 'good form'?  Even
though these entries are all NULL, they will still consume the disk space that
a DOUBLE will, correct?  Will this impact the speed of querying this table?

Would it be better to create one table to store A, B, C and a second table
solely to store D?

I'd say I am most concerned with performance, then storage space, and finally
with good form.

Thanks for your time.

-Rob Crowell