http://geozoo/stacks/mamalia/carnivora/canidae/canis/leo/

http://geozoo/stacks/mamalia/carnivora/felidae/panthera/leo/

> Those are unique and they accurately model your
> heirarchy. It's a good
> learning tool too as it documents the actual lineage
> of an animal in its
> URL. Each level of the path could resolve to
> something distinctive about
> each taxonomic group
>
> http://geozoo/stacks/mamalia/carnivora/canidae/
> would take you to a page
> about the dog family
> http://geozoo/stacks/mamalia/carnivora/ would take
> you to a page about the
> order of carnivores
> ... and so on....
>
> You don't have to worry about reorganziation of your
> taxonomic tree
> breaking your links (like you were when you wanted
> to link based on ID).
> You can add and delete nodes in your taxonomy at
> will (a deleted node
> could show some default "sorry, no profile exists
> yet. This site is still
> under construction" - type message).
>
> What's wrong with returning two responses if someone
> searched on the
> species "leo". What if they didn't know about Canis
> leo? That could be a
> cool surprise. Let the user figure out which one
> they really wanted to
> see. That means that with your existing tree, you
> have to search the tree
> for leo and if there is only one match you show the
> matching page,
> otherwise you have to present a page that shows them
> the options
> available.

Thanks for the tips. Actually, I have several
database-driven websites that are organized just as
you describe. However, I'm trying to turn this site
into a content management system, with all the
articles displayed on the same page.

In fact, it will be similar to the Animal Diversity
Website, which displays wolf and Canidae at the
following URL's:

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Canis_lupus.html
http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Canidae.html

As you can see, they don't just use lupus for wolf;
they pair it with its genus name, Canis_lupus. That's
what I want to do eventually, but there are so many
competing things to figure out - PHP, mod_rewrite,
MySQL, spaces between words, terms from two columns,
etc.

I appreciate what you said about the educational value
of a bread crumbs-type URL. However, I have that
sequence represented in the links at the top of my
page.