Barbara,

> ... I don't know if I'm being asked to add or subtract days...

Why would you want to know that? ADDDATE() doesn't care:

SET @x = -1;
SELECT ADDDATE('1975-1-1', INTERVAL @x DAY);
| ADDDATE('1975-1-1', INTERVAL @x DAY) |
| 1974-12-31                           |

PB

-----

In ADDDATE( date_value, INTERVAL expr DAYS), 'expr' can resolve to a positive or negative int.

PB

Barbara Deaton wrote:
Unfortunately no, because I don't know if I'm being asked to add or subtract days.  I'm just given a value, and have to transform that into something that can be added or subtracted.

So for example, all I get with is value 1 meaning 1 day and I need to do something with a date, for db2 through some calculations I turn this into 00000001. and my resulting SQL statement then becomes:

select count(*) from cwdd where col2 - 00000001. = {d '2005-06-07'}

And yes, the period is required for DB2.

I'm trying to figure out what calculation or modifications I need to do to the value passed in, in this case 1.  So that I can turn it into something I can pass down for MySQL to do the math on.

Thanks for the suggestion though, it just won't work in this case.

-Barb.