news <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 08/25/2005 01:39:20 PM:

> Hi Shawn
>
> > The short answer is "Yes". Do you want a list of companies from the
> > "Fortune 100" or are you interested in a particular business area?
There
> > are some huge names (http://www.mysql.com/customers/) that use MySQL
for
> > critical, public-facing, and infrastructure applications. Many of them
use
> > PHP as their front-end.
> >
> > Did you have a specific question or were you just curious of the
viability
> > of PHP+MySQL as an application platform?
>
> I'm not the curious type at all. At least not the type you mention here.
> ;-)
>
> I was reading about transactions in the PHP5 manual and since they
stated
> that the mysqli_xx functions were experimental, I wondered if they were
> reliable enough to use them in a production environment. Data integrity
rely
> at least a bit on transactions so that's my concern. It's always too
late
> when you find that your data have been corrupted in any way.
>
> Thanks

That seems more like a question to ask the PHP people as MySQL has nothing
to do with the development or support of the mysqli_xx interfaces.

Are transactions stable and supported (production ready) in MySQL? Yes,
with one caveat. You must keep your data in InnoDB tables in order to get
full commit/rollback support. MyISAM does not support automatic rollbacks.
Is mysqli_xx written to properly use the built-in transaction support? I
don't know. Again I refer you to PHP for an answer to that question.

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine