Hi,

This formula shows up in a few places (this is from
<http://dev.mysql.com/books/hpmysql-excerpts/ch06.html>):

        min_memory_needed = global_buffers + (thread_buffers * max_connections)

        where thread_buffers includes the following:

                sort_buffer
                myisam_sort_buffer
                read_buffer
                join_buffer
                read_rnd_buffer

My question is, once one of the buffers (e.g., sort_buffer) is needed
by a thread, does the thread hold onto it in case it needs it again,
or does the thread free it as soon as it can?  I'm using 4.1.13.

I'm trying to figure out an optimum value for max_connections.  If the
threads don't release their memory, then I really do have to account
for the fact that each thread over time will probably be holding each
of those buffers.  If threads give up the memory as soon as the, e.g.,
sort, is finished, then I only have to figure out how many threads are
likely to need a sort_buffer at any given time.

I looked through the manual, various online documentation, and the
source, but haven't been able to determine an answer.

Thanks,

--
Pete Harlan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]