Hello

I am using mysqldump to backup my entire database (about 40GB total)
each night.  I dump each table separetly, so that if mysqldump crashes
in the middle somewhere, the rest of the database still gets backed up.

Most of the tables are fairly small.  About 20GB of the database is
spread across more than a hundred tables.  However, one table is very
large - it accounts for the other 20GB of the dataset.

When backing up this table, I get this error message every night:

/usr/local/bin/mysqldump: Error 2013: Lost connection to MySQL server
during query when dumping table `DocumentVariants` at row: 13456

The table actually has 94,916 rows in it.  There are no entries in the
mySQL server log and nothing in /var/log/messages.  There is plenty of
disk space available on the backup drive.  The file is about 4.5GB when
this happens, which is about 1/5 of the total table size.  The table
itself contains a lot of binary data in a longblob field, in case that
makes any difference.  wait_timeout on my server is set to 86400, and
the whole backup takes less than an hour, so the timeout is not the
problem.

Has anyone else had similar problems?  Can anyone shed some light on how
to successfully back up this database?

Thanks!

Tim Gustafson
MEI Technology Consulting, Inc