[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hallo Jasper,

Op 29 Aug 05 schreef Jasper Bryant-Greene aan mysql:

 >> I would like a single row in a table, and not more than one, to be
 >> used as a preferred value in another application.
 JBG> add a column 'preferred', tinyint(1) NOT NULL.

Thank you!

Groetjes,

           Hans.

--- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5/050823
 * Origin: The Wizard is using MBSE/Linux (2:280/1018)

It's hard to say without knowing just what you mean by "used as a preferred value in another application", but I suspect that adding a whole column for this may not the best way to go. You'd be storing a lot of 0s just to keep one 1. The simplest solution may be to code the preferred row's id in your app. Your instinct to keep this value in the db is probably a better idea, however, especially if the preferred id could ever change. An alternative to adding a column would be to add a table. Something like:

  CREATE TABLE pref_value (pref_id INT);
  INSERT INTO pref_value (pref_id) VALUES (id_of_preferred_row);

You could then look up the preferred id from the pref_value table and then use it, or simply join the pref_value table to your existing table.

Michael