m i l e s <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 30/08/2005 15:28:31:

> Hi,
>
> Ive noticed that my ALL my databases and tables have
> "latin1_swedish_ci" as the collation...hmmmm that wouldn't be so bad
> except that I didn't set it that way by default, and I don't speak
> swedish.  Not that swedish isn't a fine language, or sweden isn't a
> fine country (although Ive never been there) so I hear.  However,
> that's NOT what I want.
>
> 1.) What should the db collation be set to if I am in the USA ->
> latin_1_bin ?
>
> 2.) and would doing so cause a problem that anyone can think of ?

I think the answer is that if you are in the USA, any of the latin
collations will do equally well. The will only cut in when you use
characters outside the range 32-126, which you will not do in US English.
MySQL defaults to Swedish, I would guess, because that handles its two
largest customer groups: English and Swedish speakers.

You can set the collation to latin1_bin. Chapter 10 of the manual tells
you many ways to do this (command line, my.ini, per database, per table).
If you choose to change it, rather than blindly changing it to bin, you
should perhaps consider you real needs. For example, might not a Spanish
collation serve better than a binary one? Many Americans speak Spanish,
few binary.

        Alec