RV Tec wrote:
Folks,

I'm used to run MySQL (4.0) with OpenBSD (3.7). Now I've decided to give Linux a shot, to see if I could gain some serious performance. The server I'm using is a dual Opteron 246, with 2GB RAM, LSI MegaRAID 320. CentOS 4.1 x86_64 seems to be a good OS.

Although I thought that the most interesting thing in running Linux+MySQL was the fact that LinuxThreads is available, the binaries are using pthreads.

When I try to compile my own MySQL (pretty much the same way as the RPM is created, except that I'm trying LinuxThreads), everything goes smoothly, but the servers crashes with Signal 11 every 10, maybe 5 minutes. When I compile it with pthreads, everything is back to normal.

I'm trying with MySQL 4.1.10a (I've tried the 4.0.25, 4.1.14 as well), with Centos 4.1 x86_64, Kernel 2.6.9-11.ELsmp.

So, I've a few questions, maybe you guys can help:

1) pthreads is safer, but LinuxThreads is way faster?
2) What's the best io scheduler for 20GB MyISAM DB? I'm currently using cfq.
3) Does anyone have any tips on running MySQL+AMD64+Linux?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,
RV

We fought this exact setup for some time. Some things I learned and our setup:

- gcc 3.4 (we are using 3.4.3)
- glibs 2.4.4 (w/ NPTL)
- deadline scheduler
- xfs for filesystem
- 2.6 kernel
- custom build of mysql 4.1

Everything else was either non-performant or unstable. Also, stay away from Fedora. We ended up switching to Gentoo and had massive performance and stability gains from the switch, but the reasons are more to do w/ gcc and glibc.