--- Partha Dutta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Nick Jones wrote:
>
> >--- "J.R. Bullington" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >

> >>Automatically populate??
> >>
> >>Not that _I_ know of, but of course there are
> those
> >>on this list that know
> >>much more than I.
> >>
> >>I do know that you can export the values into tab
> >>delimited format and then
> >>import it into Excel.
> >>
> >>I think that you may want to do this via ASP or
> PHP.
> >>It would make life a
> >>lot easier.
> >>
> >>J.R.
> >>

> >PHP would definitely be the way to go on this. I'm
> >working on a web application running on our AS/400
> >here running Apache, PHP, and MySQL to automate our
> >schedule forms that we fill out daily around here.
> >Everything I've got so far is running through
> >PHP/MySQL so if I can find a way to do this in PHP
> I'm
> >definitely going to try. I'll google around for
> awhile
> >and see what I come up with. MS Knowledge Base has
> >proven to be less than useful so far in my
> endeavor.
> >
> >Also, thanks to James for his suggestion on using
> the
> >ODBC query directly from Excel. This will get us
> >started for the time being, and give me some leeway
> so
> >I can work on doing this in PHP.
> >
> >Thanks to you both!
> >-Nick

> >Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page
>
> >http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
> >

> How about this for a novel aproach...
>
> Use the CSV storage engine that MySQL provides in
> the source
> distribution?  It is very easy to use, and there is
> no headaches.
>
> -- Partha Dutta

Ok, here's what we're doing in a nutshell:

Every day we fill out forms with backup times and
tapes for various computer systems. Three forms a day
with 70-100 fields each with all the same data. One
Excel sheet and two word documents that end up as PDFs
later, all of this is very time consuming. I'm
creating a web app in PHP that lets you fill out one
form, then click a button and it creates the PDFs for
you. I've gotten that far, and now I'm trying to get
it to create the Excel sheet too with just one click
(fill in your desired date, click submit, and up pops
your PDFs and spreadsheet.

Thanks
-Nick