Usually the performance hit is coming from the OS/file system. Tracking 100,000 file handles along with all the other stuff the OS is doing will slow any system down. If you have 1,000 tables, you may want to rethink you data model. If you truly need that many tables, you're better off splitting the system among a few computers, putting some tables on one and other table on another.