>Hi,
>It is skip-name-resolve - I just wrote it by memory and was wrong. There is
>also a nice piece on "Access denied" errors at
>
>http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/access-denied.html

Thanks - I'd already read that.
I've also discovered that its generating log entries (I've got a
3 Gbyte log file) even though I havent asked for them.
How can I turn this off? Do I have to use -l /dev/null ?
I'm definitely starting to suspect some compiled-in options.
Do you know how I can discover what the compile-time options
were? I cant (yet) find anything relevant in the MySQL Ref manual

Apologies for the continual questions - I'm new to 4.1 as of 1 week ago.

Cheers,
Terry.