Michael -

Thank you for your patience! I had forgotten about that part of the install...been a long time I needed to do an install...nice part of Linux. However, I am trying to move my RH 9 system to Centos 4.1 and everything has gone well until I though I could just copy the mysql db into the new server.

I looked in the manual to find out how to completely move a MySQL installation from one server to another and did not find any information (or overlooked it somehow). Moving the individual db's has not been a problem using the suggested mysqldump.

Any suggestions?

And thank you again!

Todd

Michael Stassen wrote:

Todd Cary wrote:

Unfortunately, I blew MySQL away by replacing the MySQL control tables with others and not making a copy of the folder.

My data is backed up, so that is not a problem, but I cannot reinstall MySQL and create the mysql directory with the control tables (e.g. user, db, host). I have run "yum remove mysql" and "yum install mysql" and "yum install mysql-server" and the control files are not recreated.

Any suggestions?

Todd

By "MySQL control tables", it appears you mean the mysql db. Is it really the case that your backup process skips the mysql db? If so, you ought to fix that for the future.

If you cannot restore your mysql db from backup, you can create a new one with installation defaults by running mysql_install_db. You should read the manual for the details <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/unix-post-installation.html>. In particular, note that the root users will have no password, and two anonymous users will be created. Be sure to follow the directions <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/default-privileges.html> to assign passwords to the root accounts. Also, you should probably delete the anonymous users, unless you have a very good reason to keep them.

Michael

--
Ariste Software
200 D Street Ext