My questions are probably addressed in the MySQL documentation somewhere.
I've been reading the documentation on backup but I'm not sure if that is
the right tool for this situation.  Perhaps there is a better place to be
reading?

Apparently my 4.0.23 database on my notebook is corrupted as one large table
appears to be empty. Fortunately, I had used zip to create a copy of the
mysql/data directory on CD. I have a new V5 installation on my new desktop
computer.

I really don't care about having a copy of the data on my notebook anymore.
What should I do?

Should I restore the data directory to my notebook and create a backup
(using the mysqldump) and then restore the backup on v5?

Or should I just restore the V4.0.23 mysql/data directory that is on the CD
directly to the v5 directory? Are the formats of the data files compatible?

Or is there is there a special utility for copying from one mysql instance
to another?

I created all the tables my self using MySQL CC and I never did anything
special like incorporate innodb (sp?).

Thanks,
Siegfried