Did you run the statement witht he mysql database as the current database? If so , you're statement probably got converted to this:

grant all on mysql.* to todd identified by 'my_password' with grant option;

It seems like a logical thing

The grant statement applying to all databases/tables should be:

*.*

Chris

Todd Cary wrote:

I have created a table, "sfyc" and as root I issued the following:

grant all on * to todd identified by 'my_password' with grant option;

However, "todd" cannot access "sfyc" with

mysql -u todd -p sfyc

And the mysql db contains the following:

user table
+-----------+------+
| host      | user |
+-----------+------+
| %         | todd |
| linux     | root |
| localhost | root |
+-----------+------+

db table
+------+---------+------+
| host | db      | user |
+------+---------+------+
| %    | mysql   | todd |
| %    | test    |      |
| %    | test\_% |      |
+------+---------+------+

tables_priv;
| host | db    | user | table_name |
| %    | mysql | todd | localhost  |

If I issue the following command, no changes take place in the above tables:

grant all on sfyc to todd identified by 'my_password' with grant option;

Do I need to do an "insert SQL command" to specifically enter the information?

Todd