>Hello.
>

>Are you sure that the logging isn't enabled in a different way.
>
>For possible ways to enable logs see:
>
>  http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/program-options.html

I think I must have had my head screwed on the wrong way round
when I was looking at the log file. I've deleted it now, but
I think what I was seeing was the remains of the logging generated
by the prev version of mySQL (3.23) just before I upgraded to
4.1. No new logfile has been generated since deleting this.
Sorry to waste your time!

BUT - I still cant get mysqld to let me connect from a remote
host when I have hostnames in the 'user' table. It will only
work with ip addresses. (This is where I came in originally).
And the distributed Alpha binary doesnt jhave the debug option
compiled in, so I guess I'll have to build it from scratch
to investigate further.

>What version of MySQL are you running?

4.1 precompiled Alpha binaries.

Thanks,