Yes... OS X 10.4 with a 32 but MySQL binary is stable... it is the combination of 64 bit OS (Tiger), and the 64 bit MySQL binary, and accessing more than 2Gbytes of memory within the mysqld process that blows up the machine. You can also run the 64 bit binary but keep the memory allocation below 2Gbytes (but thats pretty pointless).

64 bit is important if you have large data sets, the more you can keep in memory instead of relying on disk access, the better things run... if your regularly accessed data isn't so large, no issue anyway... if you don't have more than 2Gbytes of memory to get at, also no problem.

And of course until it is worked out, stay within the limis of 32 bit and you don't have a problem :-)

Best Regards, Bruce