Hi,
MySQL locks work only until a session expries, so they will not be of much use
in your case. The best solution will be to implement this logic in your
application - the simplest method is to add a field to the table which will
keep the information about whether the specific record is locked or not. Then
you will have to modify your UPDATE/DELETE queries to not affect locked
records.

HTH
--
Dobromir Velev