We found, to our chagrin, that a dump of an encoded field does not
restore properly in all cases.

Specifically, we use encode() to code credit card numbers before inserting
them in the database.  We did a mysqldump to produce a transport file
from version 3 of mysql to insert the data into version 4 of mysql.
The encoded numbers were munged, presumably because they were
binary data in the dump.  We used to rebuild databases with this technique
often in version 3 of mysql.

In a nutshell if you are used to doing this:

mysqldump > tmpfile
mysql < tmpfile

you may be unpleasantly surprised!

Our solution, restore the dating by putting the version 3 isam file
into the version 4 directory.

Todd Merriman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]