"packet too big" errors in replication are often a sign of corrupt binary logs. If it's on a slave reading the relay log often times flushing it will temporarily solve the problem. The easiest way to flush the relay logs is to do a slave stop; change master to back to the current file name and position. MySQL will delete all the current relay logs, open new ones and redownload any unprocessed events from the master.

Gleb Paharenko wrote:

Hello.

In my opinion (it is based on looking through the source code, but I
can be wrong) - the max_allowed_packet should be at least more than
any event in the master's binary log. The tool for researching binary logs is mysqlbinlog utility. See:
 http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/mysqlbinlog.html
        http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Binary_log.html

Your versions of MySQL are very old, I recommend you to upgrade, lots of
bugs have been fixed since these releases.

Jacob Friis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Is there any way I can find out how big I should set max_allowed_packet?

I have changed it from the default 1M to 32M, but I still get that error.
Or is it a bug? We use MySQL 4.0.12 on the slave and 4.0.15-max on the mast=
er.
How big should I set max_allowed_packet? The servers are dual Pentium
with 2G ram.

Thanks for any help.
Jacob