> So now my question... is it possible that MySQL didn't execute that first
> UPDATE query on that first page until after the rest of the process completed?
>
> -  The customer page is a basic form that posts the information to itself
> with a simple UPDATE command and then goes to the next page.

> -  I did notice that the website was very sluggish during that time and even
> unresponsive.

How is your MySQL installation set up?  At my company, we have a
master server and several slaves replicating off that master.  All
inserts/updates go to the master, and all selects go to the slaves.
We have had some instances where we insert or modify a record in the
master, and request that information from a slave before the
replication has had a chance to complete, so we get old data.  Do you
have any sort of setup like that?