I recently changed /etc/my.cnf to set myisam_data_pointer_size to 6, as we're
starting to encounter quite a few tables that are larger than 4 GB.  However,
the create table statements used by the software application using the DB
don't seem to be creating tables with pointers > 4 bytes.

Recent creation (a month or two! after restarting the DB service)
Creation time:       2005-09-07 16:35:06
Datafile pointer (bytes):        4  Keyfile pointer (bytes):        4

Manually altering the table to a large max_rows and rebuilding the table works
fine, and updates the pointer size to 5+.  Accessing files beyond 4 GB is not
an issue.

What's the point of setting the value (and restarted the mysql service) if it
doesn't actually do anything? :)  Or, what have I done wrong?