Ed Collins wrote:

        I get the following  message "error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL
server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (61)'"

This is the error the client gives when it cannot connect to the server, usually because the server isn't running.

Everything has run
fine for along time.  This is running on OS X server 10.3 and ever
since the ran the last software update mysql has not be available.

Some OS X updates in the past have incorrectly changed permissions on /tmp. That's a possibility here.

 I have tried reinstalling the os x Installer package (Mac OS X
v10.3)  Standard 4.1.14 darwin 7.9.0-powerpc.dmg and that did not
help.

This shouldn't be necessary.

my .err files show the following info

050912 23:15:37  mysqld started
050912 23:15:39 Warning: Setting lower_case_table_names=2 because file
system f$
050912 23:16:16  InnoDB: Operating system error number 13 in a file
operation.

  perror 13
  OS error code  13:  Permission denied

Mysql does not have permission to access its data directory, perhaps because of the reinstall.

InnoDB: See http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/InnoDB.html
InnoDB: for installation help.
InnoDB: The error means mysqld does not have the access rights to
InnoDB: the directory.
InnoDB: File name ./ibdata1
InnoDB: File operation call: 'create'.
InnoDB: Cannot continue operation.
050912 23:16:19  mysqld ended

How-To-Repeat:

        The problem is continuious  I have not been able to fix the problem

Fix:

        None

Set correct permissions on /tmp:

  cd /tmp
  sudo chmod 1777 .

Now make sure the data directory has the correct permissions:

  cd /usr/local/mysql
  sudo chown -R mysql:mysql data

Then try to start again.

Submitter-Id:  <submitter ID>
Originator:    EdCollins

 <organization of PR author (multiple lines)>

MySQL support: [none |
Synopsis:      mysql server not starting up OS x 10.3 server

Michael