Hi Hugh, all,

sorry about the delay.

Hugh Sasse wrote:
On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, Joerg Bruehe wrote:

Michael,

you beat me in replying, and saved me from typing the analysis - thanks!

Michael Stassen wrote:

[[...]]

The test suite is broken.

Well, I would not put it that way - a diplomatic wording is:
"The tool to run the test suite does not run as it should."
I understand that the effect for Hugh and you is the same ;-)

Nobody was claiming *deliberate* breakage! :-)

Neither did I get it that way - no offence taken. :-)

        [...]

The specific error causing your and Hugh's problem, the incorrect skipping of tests which are not applicable to the server to be tested, has been fixed, but maybe this version has not yet been pushed to the 4.1 tree.

Can we grab the new version off the web (CVSweb or similar?)

AIUI, it is pushed to the 4.1 tree, so a current tree snapshot should include it. But I cannot identify an individual change as beint _that_ correction. From a discussion about this problem, it was a different handling of process exit codes in Perl and shell that made the skip fail.

somewhere?  If it is feasible for me I'd like to translate it to
Ruby to give you that much wider coverage.  Depends if my Perl
fluency is sufficient, etc.  Whether {you, the committee, ???} accept
the contribution is another matter entirely, of course.

Until now, we have no Ruby code in the server and the various tools, including the build tools. As using a new language would require the corresponding tools to be installed on all build platforms, the advantages have to be very great to outweigh that effort.

We have not yet decided whether this script will remain a Perl script or will even be transformed to C later. Given the development speed in Perl, we would have to finalize it first.

As several of our build tools are written in Perl, we cannot easily drop that language.
What are the advantages of Ruby? (off-topic, personal mail please)

Regards,
Jörg

MySQL AB, www.mysql.com
Office:  (+49 30) 417 01 487     VoIP: [EMAIL PROTECTED]