Chris Kantarjiev wrote:

I'd like to spread the disk arm load across multiple drives. At
the moment, we mostly use MyISAM tables, but we are also
experimenting with InnoDB.

What's the 'best practice' for doing this? There's no obvious
configuration that lets me designate one directory for index
and another for data - am I meant to do this with symlinks?
How can I do anything like that with InnoDB, which appears
to put everything in one massive file?

Thanks.

There's no point putting things in separate files or directories on the same disk. If you want to balance your load, you have to do it across multiple disks. You can do something like put tables you will be often reading from on one disk, and tables you will be often writing to on another disk. Or you can split the data even across your disks by table size. It really depends on the characteristics of your database - you will know better than anyone else what sort of activity your tables have.

As for how you actually do this, I'm not sure on the details. There are options in the my.cnf config file to specify paths to put InnoDB files. See the documentation on this - the online docs are quite good for this sort of thing. Sym links are also supported, but I'm not certain if this causes a performance hit or not. I know it's an easy way of doing it though - and maybe the only way with MyISAM tables.

I found this: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/disk-issues.html after about 2 minutes of searching the online docs. It doesn't mention anything about performance hits, so maybe it is the way to go. Start at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/index.html to find more info.

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer