Phong Nguyen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 09/15/2005 10:56:57 AM:

> All,
>
> Could you please tell us what are the differences
> between ORACLE SQL plus and MYSQL SQL? We developed
> application using ColdFusion with Oracle. Now I like
> to point my application to mysql database. How do I
> fix my application to work with Mysql?
>
> Thankyou

You asked basically two questions:

a) what are the differences between ORACLE SQL plus and MYSQL?

First, I must refer you to the official MySQL documentation. Everything
you will need to know to answer your question will be in there. I am
assuming that you already understand Oracle SQL Plus, as you are using it.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/index.html

It does not do a point-by-point comparison between the two products you
list but if you understand Oracle and read this to see how you form the
MySQL equivalent to each Oracle statement you use (you can skip around to
read just the parts you need then come back and get the rest later), the
differences will be readily apparent. If you do not already understand
your Oracle back-end, you have a serious disadvantage to making this a
smooth transition.

b) How do I fix my application to work with Mysql?

The simple answer is: Change your website's code to use a compatible MySQL
client library and modify all SQL statements to be MySQL compatible.

Exactly how you do that with the environment you specified, I don't have a
clue. I looked at Cold Fusion once (several years ago) so how that tool
helps to automate the development of the data storage and retrieval
process is beyond me. How much you need to change your SQL statements
depends on how they are with MySQL already. One well-known point on how
MySQL and Oracle differ is in how to define a JOIN in a SQL statement.
MySQL works best if you use the explicit "[INNER|LEFT|RIGHT] JOIN ... ON
..." format. AFAIK, Oracle does not support this syntax.

I wish you well. If you have any specific translation issues that you
cannot resolve by reading the manual, please bring it back to the list. I
am sure someone will be able to help.

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine