Josh Chamas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>Dyego Souza Dantas Leal wrote:
>> I want to use INTEL SHARED MySQL 4.0.25 - Pro with innodb tables on
>> PRODUCTION SERVER DELL 2600
>>
>> The Linux Kernel is 2.6.12 and the hardware is DUAL XEON 2.4 HT iwth 4
>> GB of RAM
>> (i'm using raw partitions feature on innodb tables)
>
>These binaries tend to be faster, but also have some odd/rare bugs
>that don't occur with other binaries.  So I would suggest if its
>speed you want use them, and if they seem to have a problem on your
>system, then revert back to the normal binaries.

     One thing I've noticed with Linux 2.6 is a lack of available free
pages.  With the current mechanisms in place searching for free pages
tends to get short shrift.  This seems to lead to a lack of available
pages for use with the networking code.  I've alleviated this somewhat
by changing the swappiness value with

        echo 20 >/proc/sys/vm/swappiness

     From what I've been able to understand from the tuning items I've
seen, the most recent paging algorithms tend to favor swapping out
large programs.  Hmmmm, sounds like mysqld, right?  So changing this
swappiness value seems to allow a reasonable number of free pages for
various kernel needs.
                  Brad Eacker ([EMAIL PROTECTED])