MySQL is generally limited by the OS you are running it on. If you start having thousands of table, the OS is probably going to get bogged down in trying to keep track of all the file handles needed for all those tables and indexes. The practical limit to the number of tables is far lower than the theoretical maximum. So I wouldn't design your database with unlimited tables in mind. A database can hold multiple terabytes of data, but again you would run into limits of the OS, like maximum file size. Using InnoDB you would be able to split the tables into multiple files to work around OS limits on the maximum file size. But again, there are only so many files an OS can keep open and manage before you run into performance problems. Keep in mind that you don't have to keep everything on one machine.

Yes, you can store binary data in MySQL.