Hello Tim,

> I disagree completely.
>
> I prefer to have regard to the statement of requirement, which in this
case
> is a concern over performance. If following conventional design rules
> creates performance issues, then performance related issues come first
when
> considering design.

Given that the OP did not state that there were any issues with an
existing website, logical requirements come first. Period. No discussion ;)

> In times long since gone by (I am showing my age here) client side message
> response times were written into contracts. Design had to take into
account
> performance issues. With very high loaded web-sites as in this case, a
> little time spent on lateral thinking can make a big difference and save
> costs in the long run, and keeps customers happy.

It also depends heavily on the tasks of the application.

In any case, if this is a read/write application, I would still say that
logical
requirements should go first. If this is a read only application, do
whatever
you want.

Given that - usually - data is pretty much the most important thing inside
an
application, it should be logically correct.

Both you and me know that any denormalization or other "performance
tweaks" can result into inconsistent data and should be avoided like the
plague if possible.

If this is the customers own server and everything is logical correct but
there
are "some" performance problems, I'd say: throw more hardware at it.
Obviously, this makes sense --after-- tweaks to the database engine caching
etc etc... Hardware is cheap(ish). If you can control it, do so.

Denormalization is dangerous.

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Server