True, is there a way to tell a slave to not replicate certain queries
like alter table or would I need to get creative and stop replication
and all writes to the main database, then issue the alter table
statement, then restart replication with a  set global
slave_sql_skip_counter=1 so that it skips the alter statemtent?

> Remember that an ALTER TABLE that could have an impact could be as
> simple as adding or dropping an index... although usually
> very simple
> alter table statements like that can be done without defining the
> table engine, some GUIs may however insert that for you on even the
> simplest ALTER TABLE commands.

If I understand what you're saying here, some MySQL front end gui
software will add onto any "Alter table" statement you submit a
statement specifying the type of table like myisam automatically.  So if
you used that gui and tried to issue an alter statement to say add an
index to a InnoDB table it would add on a table type = MyISAM and cause
havoc?

Normally I don't rely on gui tools to do my serious quiries like
altering tables or adding indexes etc.  I'll do them logging directly
into mysql server on the linux box itself.  In this case there shouldn't
be a problem correct?