I am not familiour with Cold Fusion but: cant you use 'show columns from table' ?? and use the result object?

This normally works in e.g. C or PHP

danny

Schimmel LCpl Robert B (GCE 2nd Intel Bn Web Master) wrote:
I am using Cold Fusion and as I stated in my original message, if I were
using MySQL 5, then I could use information_schema to retrieve the
column names in the table and do it with variables in Cold Fusion. I do
that on all my pages on the MySQL 5 servers with which I work. However,
the server I am working with currently is MySQL 4 and I am unaware of
any way to retrieve the column names from a table in MySQL 4.

Rob

Danny Stolle [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Well I haven't realy found a select method in which you can isolate a field. Like a complementary method, in which you select like one field, but shows the fields except the field which you have used in your select-statement.

So you excually want to dynamically insert the records, not knowing how many fields you excually have; excluding the auto-numbering field. Wouldn't it be better to use PHP or another API in which you retrieve the fields and create an SQL statement using these variables and having the knowledge of creating the sql-statement?

You could also try to automate an export and use the load datafile to import the information; but then again you have to rewrite the datafile.

Best regards, Danny

Schimmel LCpl Robert B (GCE 2nd Intel Bn Web Master) wrote:

That is the effect that I am looking for, but exactly the method that

am trying to avoid. If I type the column names into my INSERT...

SELECT

and someone later adds a column to the table, I would have to go back
into my program and update the statement. I am looking for a way to do
it dynamically in order to avoid maintenance of the statement in my
program later.

Rob

Danny Stolle [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi,

I am hoping you meen this:

You have to use the fields in your into -statement and select

statement,

not including the field having the auto-numbering

so if e.g. field1 has autonumbering ->
insert into table1 (field2, field3) select (field2, field3) from

table1;

autonumbering will automatticaly be applied :-)

Danny

Schimmel LCpl Robert B (GCE 2nd Intel Bn Web Master) wrote:

Here is the problem that I am having. I am trying to make a copy of a
full record in a table that has a primary key with auto-increment. The
real problem is that I want the statement to use SELECT * so that if
columns ever get added to the table the statement will still work for
the full record. I know that I can use the information_schema to do

this

in MySQL 5, but the server I am currently work with is MySQL 4.
Basically, I am looking for a way to select all of the columns in a
record except one, so that the auto-incrementing primary key will
automatically insert itself. Of course, if anyone has any other
suggestions for a work around, that would be good, too.

Rob Schimmel

2d Intel bn

USMC