On Sep 25, 2005, at 5:44 PM, Robert L Cochran wrote:

I would start by writing down what you believe the database consists of:

1. The table structures -- write them down, commit them to paper.

Thanks, I've already printed out all of table structure information.

2. The relationships you believe exist between the tables. Document them in writing and visually.

That is what I have started to do. Because the stuff that I was writing down seemed, well, fairly structured, I'd assumed that there were some useful conventions for recording these.

Use whatever tool works for now -- don't make the mistake of allowing the tools to stand in the way of proper documentation.

Of course. But I was hoping that existing tools might remind me to note down things that I might not have occurred to me to note down.

Now look at the code components.

1. Print and organize all the code that exists.
2. Study the code; determine how each component relates to the others. Diagram this program flow as above for the tables. Don't let lack of software stop you. Pen and paper is better than exactly nothing.

I wasn't looking for software for this part, though something like ctags for PHP would be nice. After printing everything out, the next thing I did was put things under revision control.

As to learning MySQL and PHP, there is really only one good technical writer for MySQL: Paul DuBois. His book MySQL 3rd edition is a must-read.

Thanks.

But even Paul is not a magician; you can't learn MySQL from a book alone. You need Paul's book, and the willingness to practice working with MySQL.

Of course. The Tutorial from MySQL AB requires that. And I've successfully added some new required things to the project.

Of the various PHP writers, I really have great respect for Tim Converse and Joyce Parks.

Again, thanks for the recommendation.

But I'm still left puzzled. If people haven't developed tailored tools to document a database, then I find more than a bit of irony in the fact that people who specialize in organizing data in useful ways would not have developed a way to organize data that they need to make use of on a daily basis.

Cheers,

-j