Vinayak Mahadevan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 27/09/2005 04:55:13:

> I am creating an application in Visual Basic 6.0 which will require a
> centralised database server. All this while I had been planning to use
> MS-Access. But then I found out that MS-Access is ok to be a desktop
> rdbms but not for an enterprise level rdbms. So I am planning to use
> MySQL as the backend for the application. What should be the minimum
> system requirement to run the database on.

MySQL can run on almost nothing. The question is not what system you need,
but what performance you want. I think you *could* run MySQL on a P200,
Win 98, 128Mb ram, 40Mb disc. But the performance you would get would be
seriously disappointing.

You need to think what size of database you want, how many queries and
updates per second you will need, and how complex your queries will be.

However, since MySQL is freely available, why not just download it,
install it on your development machine, and run a few tests. The only real
measurement of performance is actual tests: predictions often err, both
high and low.

        Alec