Michael Stassen wrote:
Stephen A. Cochran Lists wrote:

On Sep 27, 2005, at 3:29 AM, Jasper Bryant-Greene wrote:

mysql> SHOW CREATE TABLE Player|
| Player | CREATE TABLE `Player` (
  `id` int(16) NOT NULL auto_increment,
  `first_name` varchar(32) NOT NULL default '',
  `last_name` varchar(32) NOT NULL default '',
  `year` varchar(16) NOT NULL default '',
  `height` varchar(8) NOT NULL default '',
  `season` int(4) NOT NULL default '0',
  PRIMARY KEY  (`id`),
  KEY `season` (`season`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 |

What column are you ordering on?

The command in PHP is:

$query="SELECT id,first_name,last_name FROM Player ORDER BY id";
$players=mysql_query($query);

When issued from the mysql prompt, order is fine, but when called from php I'm getting that strange order:

1, 10, 11, 12, etc...

Steve Cochran

Then the problem is in your php code. Mysql will certainly return the rows ordered the same way to both the mysql client and to php. If php is showing a different order, then it must be something your php code is doing. If you post the code which displays the results, I'm sure someone could point out the problem, though that really belongs on a php list.

Michael

I had this same problem a while back, and while I'm probably making the same mistakes you are but have no idea what they are, I solved it by using ZEROFILL on the field I was sorting. So that PHP was seeing 0001, 0002, 0003...

Worked for me, although from some of the replies I'm wondering if that wasn't the best way to do it. :/