Hassan Schroeder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 09/28/2005 11:58:35 AM:

> Wolfram Kraus wrote:
>
> >> can we execute shell commands inside mysql client
>
> > Use \!
>
> Whoa. I didn't know that. Is that controlled in any way by GRANT?
> Or by conf/startup options?
>
> It seems like something you might (strongly!) want to disallow in
> a shared environment :-)
>
> --
> Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Webtuitive Design ===  (+1) 408-938-0567   === http://webtuitive.com
>
>                           dream.  code.

The system commands you execute through the MySQL client are not performed
at the server but in the context of the local user using the local MySQL
CLI client on the local machine. Regular OS-level user permissions kick in
here. You would not be able to execute a command from within the MySQL
client that you normally could not execute from any other command line.

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine