Robert Citek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 09/28/2005 04:01:33
PM:

> On Sep 28, 2005, at 2:37 PM, Sujay Koduri wrote:
> > I don't know how far this is going to help you. But this is what we
> > are
> > following to migrate from Oracle to MySQL.
>
> If we were migrating, that's probably the strategy that we would
> use.  But we are not, at least not yet.  For now we just want to be
> able to join two tables which reside in different databases (Oracle
> and MySQL).  What I'm hoping is one of the following:
>
> 1) I can link an Oracle table into MySQL using ODBC
> 2) I can link a MySQL table into Oracle using ODBC
>
> I have found docs that hint that (1) is possible, but haven't found
> anything that says "Here's how you do it."  As for the second option,
> I discovered something called "Oracle Heterogeneous Services" which
> may be the ticket, but again, I haven't found anything that says
> "Here's how you do it."
>
> Personally, I would prefer option (1) over option (2) because that
> would then provide a clear path and an incentive for migration to MySQL.
>
> Regards,
> - Robert
> http://www.cwelug.org/downloads
> Help others get OpenSource software.  Distribute FLOSS
> for Windows, Linux, *BSD, and MacOS X with BitTorrent

(1) is almost possible with 5.0. The Federated storage engine creates the
equivalent of "linked tables" but it is MySQL-to-MySQL only. There are
other restrictions, too.  As soon as they work out the kinks for
MySQL-to-ODBC, you will be in business. Full details:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/federated-storage-engine.html

(2) This was suggested earlier (just last week) and an example was walked
through on the list.  Really, this is an Oracle question and I would
happily refer you to any Oracle docs on how to create such an ODBC-linked
table. I don't know where to look so I Googled:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=oracle+heterogenous+link+odbc&btnG=Google+Search

(hit #2)This link seems promising. Try substituting references to their
drivers with references to the MyODBC driver:
http://www.easysoft.com/applications/oracle/hsodbc.html

(hit #4)This also looks to be useful. Substitute MS SQL server information
with MySQL values where appropriate.
http://www.databasejournal.com/features/oracle/article.php/3442661

(hit #5) (OMG!!) This one actually describes linking Oracle to MySQL :
http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-9592-5725974.html

One of these or some of the other appx 48500 other hits has GOT to work
for you.

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine