hi,

I've been assigned the task to come up with a script
to clean up a database that has a LOT of foreign key
constraints, where tables make reference to each other
and back, some of the tables are empty or have a
record or so and make the process a breze but I wonder
what would happen the day they fully populate the
database and then run into issues.

As an example, here is the show create table command
from one of them...

===================================

CREATE TABLE `show_cat` (
  `id` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,
  `parent_id` int(11) default NULL,
  `dataset` varchar(30) default 'any',
  `name` varchar(200) default NULL,
  `description` text,
  `publish` char(1) default 'Y',
  PRIMARY KEY  (`id`),
  KEY `parent_id` (`parent_id`),
  CONSTRAINT `show_cat_ibfk_1` FOREIGN KEY
(`parent_id`) REFERENCES `show_cat` (`id`)
) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1

===================================

I would like to know what would be the best method to
delete some records of the table without lossing
referential integrity.

thanks,
esv.

Enrique Sanchez Vela
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
It's often easier to fight for one's  ||    We live in the outer space

principles than to live up to them    ||    Rev. Kay Greenleaf
Adlai Stevenson                       ||