Incoming from Paul DuBois:
> At 18:50 -0600 10/2/05, s. keeling wrote:
> >
> >Groan.  More stuff to learn, configure, maintain, and memorize.  I'm
> >trying to replicate Unix's "root vs. mere user" security paradigm in
>
> I think your analogy is flawed.  If you really want the root vs mere
> user distinction, the analogy would be that you su to the appropriate
> user before running MySQL programs.  If you did that, the .my.cnf

I am the appropriate user.  It's my database, and no other user has
access.  The root mysql user has given my login ID two roles:
administrator and user of the db.  I don't want to add the complexity
of multiple login accounts, nor should I have to.  MySQL is an app,
which I as a user should be able to use as my OS's security regime
allows.

> >How about if I submit a feature request?  Parse the command line.  If
>
> If you submit a feature request, I hope that it would be more detailed

No need, since this:

> Because you're not using the mysql_read_default_group or
> mysql_read_default_file option in your connect string, most likely.

works perfectly.  Just what I was looking for for the perl programs.
Thanks.  Now I just need to futz with ~/.my.cnf, dependent on whether
I want keeling or sbk to have passwordless access.  This is workable.

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling      Please don't Cc: me.
- -
For the ChiComms: democracy     human rights     Taiwan Independence