To: Patrick
Cc: Chance Ellis ; mysql@lists.mysql.com
Sent: Monday, October 03, 2005 4:30 PM
Subject: Re: Table names with periods

Replies embedded:

"Patrick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 10/03/2005 03:43:20 PM:

There are many ways to approach this.  How are you receiving the IP
data?  Are you reading a file or other stream or are you trying to
process the table creation by reading a column from a previously
populated table through a select statement?

The functions, inet_ntoa() and inet_addr(), are part of most
networking libraries. These are the common functions to convert
dotted quad notation. If you wanted to write you own function, an
IPv4 address is broken down as follows:

AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD
  \   \   \   \
    \   \   \   DDD
      \   \   CCC x CCC
        \   BBB x BBB x BBB
          AAA x AAA x AAA x AAA

I am not sure of your algorithm. Perhaps I am just not understanding your notation.

If you are not able to pre-process (scrub) the incoming data
programmatically, you would need to create a UDF in MySQL to perform
the conversion, or, alternatively, if you want to use MySQL SELECT
statement as-is could replace the 'period' with an 'underscore'
using MySQL's built-in string functions like so:

Assumptions: Reading IP address from an existing table named
IP_Addresses with a column named ip_address and a column named status.

    SELECT  "CREATE TABLE ",REPLACE(ip_address,'.','_'), " [insert
create options here]" FROM IP_Addresses WHERE status ="ACTIVE"

Dynamic SQL? Not with that statement. He is going to need to create his SQL statement client-side and send it pre-formatted to the server. MySQL 5.0 has the beginnings of dynamic SQL and I am not 100% sure it would accept what you typed.

You would obviously add your "CREATE TABLE" options and "INTO
OUTFILE" options as needed.
This would be an alternative to converting IPv4 to 32bit Integer.

I hope this helps...

If at all possible, it is probably best to continue in the MySQL
list, there are some pretty clever people out there

Pat...

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
CocoNet Corporation
SW Florida's First ISP