On Oct 4, 2005, at 4:34 PM, Jeff Pflueger wrote:

Where might I find the key so that I can send it along to them? any suggestions on this?

The password is what you need to send. The encryption and decryption functions generate a key from the password. Internally, the key that the AES/Rijndal algorithm uses is a 128 bit (or 256 bit) sequence, but the AES_ENCRYPT() function will convert the password (in a deterministic way) probably using a hash function such as SHA-n or MD5 into a 128 bit sequence.

If you could describe a bit more fully what it is that you are trying to achieve we might be able to suggest alternative strategies that will better meet your needs than encrypting particular fields this way.

-j