Hi,

I'm pretty much an SQL newbie, so apologies in advance if this is
basic stuff.  That'll teach me for skipping the databases class in
college...

I just created an app using a table that has entries like this
simplified version:

name       date        value
----------------------------
Fred       2005-10-01  7
Fred       2005-10-02  10
Joe        2005-10-01  4
Joe        2005-10-01  10

and so on.  New values get inserted every day, but old ones remain.

I'd like a query that selects the "value" field for the most recent
date for each name.  Since I didn't know how, right now I'm selecting
all the distinct names and looping over those in PHP to do queries
that grab the latest value from each.  But next I want to be able to
sort that overall list by value, which just leads to more and more
complexity with my workaround.

If all else fails, I suppose I can have that loop create a temporary
table with each name and then sort that, but it seems like there has
to be a cleaner solution out there.  Is there?

Thanks