In my opinion you have two choices (hope someone has better :).
First - you can generate dynamically your query (the IN part
of your query). See definition of the IN operator at:
  http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/comparison-operators.html

This would be my plan at the moment.
I sought out the IN operator in an effort to avoid doing a zillion subqueries to 'gather' the rows I want. (ie. Repeat a query on every item in the pre-existing array, asking MySQL some 9,000 times whether or not each item exists in a row in the table. In my mind, this would be terribly inefficient.

The IN operator seems to remedy this.

Second available way is to create a temporary table from the
array contents and use IN subquery. See:
  http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/any-in-some-subqueries.html

Creating tables on the fly isn't something I've ever considered or experimented with. I'll have a look at that as well.
Thanks much for your input.

--
T.J. Mahaffey
[EMAIL PROTECTED]